[LIS-Forum] Clarification Sought

mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Aug 21 20:06:53 IST 2012

M KOTESWARA RAO mkrlib at uohyd.ernet.in
Mon Aug 20 19:28:10 IST 2012

In my opinion all the old manual charging systems were excellent. Because
of library automation these methods have been discarded and replaced with
barcode /RFID system for simplicity, ease of operation and better control
and reporting. However, maintaining circulation records in ELECTRONIC ONLY
form is always dangerous since there is no manual record to verify in case
of hard disk /system crash. This has happened in one of the top academic
library in the country where thousands of books issued were lost and could
not be called-back?. It is always advisable to have a manual record in
addition to the electronic one, because our library users can deny if we
cannot show the proof of borrowing.  We may discard the physical card
catalogue cabinet but you need to think twice before you eliminate the
book card/member record in a fully automated library.

Dr. M. Koteswara Rao
Retd. Librarian, Univ of Hyderabad