[LIS-Forum] Equating Libraries with Facebook and Twitter:

Vimal Kumar vimal0212 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:19:51 IST 2011

Dear Friends,
Its true Social media services cant replace libraries.
But, libraries can make use social media services for marketing library
services and keep in touch with library users.
Many prestigious libraries from abroad are make using social media services
effectively for interacting with users.

In India, very few library professionals are familiar with social media
services and its use.
If we visit library web sites from other countries, socially media services
are integrated successfully in websites.
Indian library websites are very poor and contents are static. Very few
prestigious libraries in India have decent website.
Majority of library professionals in managerial positions are not keeping in
touch with dynamic technology and less empowered in taking decision on
technology adoption.
They are forced to implement technologies in libraries without proper
feasibility studies.

We can think loud about social media and other innovative web services in
Lisforum. A very sad situation is that library professionals organizations
and library science schools in India still follows head in sand approach
towards innovative technologies and services!!!

--
Vimal Kumar V.
Mahatma Gandhi University Library