[LIS-Forum] Mahatma Gandhi University to gain from PURSE

Vimal Kumar vimal0212 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:18:52 IST 2011

Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, is one among the 30 universities in
India selected by the Department of Science and Technology for funding under
the DST-PURSE programme. Under it, the university will receive Rs.9 crore
for development of research infrastructure.

The university has been placed eighth among the 30 top Indian universities
selected under this programme based on its h-index (a measure to assess the
quality of research in science), university authorities say.

The Promotion of University Research and Scientific Excellence (PURSE)
scheme provides substantive research grants to universities based on the
scientific publications in Science citation indexed journals through the
SCOPUS database. The department identified universities with h-index ranging
from 42-26 for R&D support during 2010-11. Mahatma Gandhi University had an
h-index of 35.

The university will receive Rs.3 crore every year for three years. The grant
is to be utilised by the School of Chemical Sciences, the School of
Biosciences, the School of Environmental Sciences, and the School of Pure
and Applied Physics, along with interdisciplinary centres such as the Centre
for Nanosciences and Nanotechnology, Centre for Intensive Research in Basic
Sciences, Inter-University Common Instrumentation Centre. A project
implementation group (PIG) consisting of academics from all the science
disciplines has been constituted by the university as per the DST
guidelines.

Information courtesy: The Hindu, 24 October 2011,
http://www.thehindu.com/education/article2562430.ece

--
Vimal Kumar V.
Mahatma Gandhi University Library