[LIS-Forum] NewGenLib Open Source software version 3.0 released

Mohan T A mohan19031965 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 12:54:52 IST 2011

Dear Professionals:

I wanted to share with you that Open Source NGL 3.0 series is released
and my library started using it. Those of you who are using the old
version can now upgrade to the new version. Some of the good features
that impressed me are

1. NGL 3 is now migrated to the latest technologies. Like Java 6.0,
Spring framework, Hibernate, Apache tomcat 6.0, Postgresql 8.3&8.4.
This is infact a good move by moving away from old jboss and other older
 technologies

2. My catalogue searches have become very very fast especially because
NGL is now using search engine technology(Similar to what Google, Yahoo
web searches) for catalogue searches. I have got a data sheet from them
claiming that on a test database of 2 crore catalog records results were
 retrieved in fractions of a second

3. Now NGL automatically sends SMSs (Mobile alerts) to my users when
ever a book is issued or received from them. This has uplifted my
library's fame and face in our institution

4. OPAC is more cool and sophisticated. My users can now see Book
covers, Google previews. Also NGL is now Zotero compliant, it means my
students preparing project reports can easily create bibliographic
references from library catalog

5.NGL reports are much better and very fast now. I could generate my
complete accession register in 4 mins. Also Stock verification report
was generated in less than 3 mins.

6. Finally the Technical processing module, its so user friendly and at the same time can use the full power of MARC21.

A few links that may be helpful for you

Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/newgenlib/files/NewGenLib/version3.0.2/InstallNGL3.0.zip/download

Installation notes: http://www.verussolutions.biz/kb/installationNew

Upgradation notes: http://www.verussolutions.biz/kb/node/27

NGL also has started train-yourself Knowledge bank: http://www.verussolutions.biz/kb

These videos are really good, I could train my staff especially new recruits easily using the videos in the Knowledge Bank.

T A Mohan

Librarian

Siddaganga Institute of Technology

TUMKUR