[LIS-Forum] Library Software Features [1 Attachment]

Rafiq Ansari rafiq.ansari at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 17:26:47 IST 2011

Dear All,

Please check below a comprehensive compliance list for consideration
of any library management system. I had compiled the list mainly for a
media library (hence you would find references to tapes, etc.), but
the list holds true for all types of libraries.

Hope you would find it useful in making an informed decision before
going for any library management system.

Thanks.

Rafeeque Ansari |  Team Leader - Archive
Al Jazeera English Channel |  PO Box 23127  |  Doha  |  Qatar
M: +974 66628254
W: +974 44892375
rafeeque.ansari at aljazeera.net
www.aljazeera.net/english

===================================

The Times Television Library

Compliance List

Sr No
 Specification
 Yes/No

1
 The software should have minimum, but not limited to, the following
modules and functions:  Cataloguing, Circulation, Online Search,
Web-OPAC, Online Requisition, Online Reservation, Online Renewal,
Email scheduling, etc.

2
 Allows to redefine data entry worksheet as per our needs and requirements

3
 Worksheet label (field names like Author, Title etc.) editing should
be possible as per our requirement

4
 Allows to create any new worksheet with only necessary fields and
data entry elements as per our requirement

5
 Builds, maintains and uses Authority for Producers, Directors,
Editors, Subjects, Locations, etc.

6
 Multi-tasking – to allow multiple tasks with single login / client
instance – there should not be any need to open another instance of
the client

7
 Should be possible to generate barcode labels for face and spine of tapes

8
 Alpha-numeric, free text field for Accession Nos.

9
 Accession No. field accepts special characters like / ( ) ; : etc.

10
 Concept of Series with Accession No. with no field length and
character limitation

11
 Should be possible to generate reports and statistics based on Accn. Series

12
 Stock verification with reports at the end of each year

13
 Option to add/remove search fields in OPAC / Web-OPAC

14
 Option to modify (add/remove) search options in combo box list in OPAC

15
 Search Filter options based on tape format, location, year etc.

16
 Options to conduct expert search using Boolean operators

17
 Ensure data security from search (OPAC / Web-OPAC) interfaces

18
 Allows to export reports in either Word and/or Excel formats

19
 Allows to schedule various reminders (overdue, recall, follow-up,
etc.) to be sent through email

20
 Tracks the location and status of every tape and disk in the library

21
 Prints face and spine labels on A4 size self-adhesive sticker stationery

22
 Prints small identification labels for smaller items like DVCs

23
 Automatically assigns sequential ID numbers

24
 Easily creates duplicate records for logging/recording of similar items

25
 Supports wildcard searches

26
 Retains old ID numbers along with content details so that when the
tape is recycled, system is able to tell what was previous information
on the tape

27
 Powerful inventory control features for blank tapes and disks

28
 System should inform in advance the depletion / existing stock of
blank tape stock (in order to facilitate acquisition)

29
 Facility for Produces to send Online Requisition for Blank Tapes
through Web-OPAC to the Library

30
 Facility for the Library to forward the Producers’ requisition for
blank tapes to Business Dept. for purchase.

31
 Online Approval function

32
 Facility to inform the producers’ about the receipt of blank tape stock.

33
 All above 4 functions (point Nos. 25 – 28) to operate solely on Email system

34
 Library check-in/check-out/Renewal/Reservation features

35
 Allows to store an unlimited number of records

36
 Smart-Fill — Automatically fills in information as you type either by
way of list boxes or through browse buttons

37
 Sorts and displays records in any order of our choice

38
 Multi-media: facility to link images and other audio-visual file
systems with records

39
 Flexible — allows us to decide how much information to store for each record

40
 Flexible enough to integrate with other systems in the organisation

41
 Should be possible to post Library Notice and Circulars for the users

42
 Should build indexes automatically, and make new records available
immediately for searching

43
 Allow to mark Tape status as Missing, Damaged, Withdrawn, Recycled,
and Master Back up, etc.

44
 Should control circulation for the items marked as above (Point No. 43)

45
 Should facilitate to flush out record for tapes marked as Missing,
damaged, withdrawn, etc.

46
 Duplicate check of items based on Tape ID, Tape No. (Accession No.), etc.

47
 Should give holdings reports based on tape format, size, episode
name, episode No., title, producers, directors, etc.

48
 Should give separate count for titles and volumes

49
 Should facilitate bar code based circulation

50
 Should maintain a comprehensive transactions log – giving circulation
history of tapes and allow printing of the log as and when required

51
 OS: Windows or Linux

52
 Client – Server

53
 Web-OPAC option

54
 User licenses: Library staff clients = Min 5

Web-OPAC: unlimited

55
 Database = Oracle / SQL

56
 Record limit = Unlimited

Notes:

Additional functions can be added in the above compliance list.

Please mention jut ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ against each item.

For each ‘Yes’, we would insist on a demonstration.

Duly filled in Compliance List may either be forwarded as hard copy or
through email.

Please furnish the following mandatory requirements:

Hardware configuration both for server and clients

Server OS (all options on which s/w operates)

Client platform – whether windows or browser-based

Programming language

RDBMS

Installation base – please attach list of users, particularly in media industry

Updates and upgrades during and post warrantee period

Warrantee clause

Post warrantee AMC rates

Cost of customization

Implementation period

Cost of the software – based on the above specifications

On 9 June 2011 14:52, ILANOM <monalipanchbhai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Members,
>
> I want to purchase a Library software for our library. As of now the records are maintained in Excel.
> I have a budget of 5-6 Lakhs.
> Can any body suggest a good software?
> Also if anyone has compiled list of features for purchasing such software then plz mail the same at - monalipanchbhai at gmail.com
> This is bit urgent. Waiting for your kind reply.
> Regards,
> Monali Maduskar
> NISM