[LIS-Forum] HAPPY LIBRARIANS' DAY

SN Chari charisn at rediffmail.com
Fri Aug 12 12:13:50 IST 2011

Dear Friends,

August 12th is being celebrated as National Librarians’ Day in India, in remembrance of national professor of library science, Padmashree Dr S R Ranganathan (1892-1972), who had spearheaded library development in India.

We have more opportunities to affirm that libraries are change agents in educating the citizens in public life. In India, lot is to be accomplished, appreciation and motivation of library services will go a long way to make awareness about the importance of information and library services to reach the unreached.

There is a huge task ahead for librarians and information services industry to cultivate the reading habit. Illiteracy, poverty and lack of access to education in still more prevalent among the semi-urban and rural areas in India. While the successive governments and department of culture have neglected the library development, librarians and struggling their way to create the awareness of reading habit among the general public with limited resources. It is strongly believed that the coming days will change the face of libraries as ICT and social media are a big boost to learning and education.

We all the librarians and information professionals has to keep up good morale of service, realize our mission and strive hard to reach out more masses in our country in the process of shaping our tomorrow’s leaders through learning and in national development.

S N Chari
Documentation Officer
ICSSR-NASSDOC
35, Ferozeshah Road,