[LIS-Forum] UGC Anomaly regarding

bjeyapragash prakash bjeyapragash at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 13:34:11 IST 2010

Dear Professional friends,

Greetings! some of our friends highlighted that there was anomaly for the
post of deputy librarian vs associate professor. In this regard , I would
like to submit my following observation.

Qualification for Associate Professor: Direct Recruitment

1. Good Academic record with Ph.D
2. A Master's Degree with at least 55%
3. A Minimum of eight years of experience of teaching i.e as Assistant
Professor.
(Ref Sec 4.3.0 of UGC Regulation dated 30.6.2010 Page No.6)
4. (Pay Scale: 37,400-Rs.67,000 with AGP of Rs.9000)

Qualification for Deputy Librarian: Direct Recruitment

1. Master's Degree in Library Science
2. Five Years experience as an Assistant University Librarian/College
Librarian
3. M.Phil/Ph.D degree in Library science is desirable.

4.(Pay Scale : 15,600-Rs.39,100) with AGP of Rs.8000. They shall move to pay
band of Rs.37,400-Rs.67,000 with AGP of Rs.9000 after completing three years
of Service in the AGP of Rs.8000 Ref: Section V of 6.2 page no.67)

In this context as per as the above scheme there is no anomaly between Asst.
Professor and College Librarian/University Asst. Librarian to reach the post
of Associate Professor and Pay scale of Rs.37,400 i.e 8 years ).

However, we make an appeal that to Make Ph.D as an essential qualification
for the post of Deputy Librarian and make 8 years experience of College
Librarian/University Asst. Librarian for the direct recruitment of Deputy
librarian and directly fix a pay as 37,400 with AGP of Rs.9000).

It is my humble observation in the context of Deputy Librarian. Still if
there is any anomaly in the above context, we will share and do the needful.

I further to state that as per UGC Regulation 2000 there was no incentives
for M.Phil/Ph.D holders for the post of College Librarian. Hence, as for as
Tamil Nadu concerned college librarians who have obtained M.Phil or Ph.D
before 31.12.2005 were find it difficult to get incentive for M.Phil/Ph.D.
However, who have obtained M.Phil or Ph.D after 31.12.2005 (from 1.1.2006)
are getting incentives as per the new regulation. Hence, the professional
association should try to remove this anomaly.

My other humble submission is that the Librarians who have associated in
teaching/research should be designated as Asst.Professor/Associate
Professor/Professor respectfully. It is relevent to state that some
professional associations like SALIS, IALA etc are working good to remove
the anomalies.

With regard to age, I submit that the MHRD states there is a shortage of
teachers, so they fix upper age limit as 65 for professors. But, it is not
true. For example in Tamilnadu, there is demand to get a qualified hand for
the post of librarians ( for 56 posts only around 110 candidates were
appered for recent selection process i.e 1: 2 ) where as for the post of
Asst Professor it is not less than 1:25 (applied)

with regards

S.Swaminathan
Librarian(SG)
SRKVCOE,Coimbatore 641 020