[LIS-Forum] Karnataka State College Librarians’ Association and the importance of accountability

Vasanth gooche_1981 at yahoo.co.in
Wed Mar 3 23:41:49 IST 2010

Dear Sir/madam,

Recently we all the college librarians were trained for five days on various aspects of technologies which can be used for our day to day activities in our libraries in Gulbarga University in collaboration with the Department of Collegiate Education.  The Karnataka State Librarians Association (KSCLA) was solely responsible for planning and making it a useful event. The president and the other office bearers must be congratulated for the good job they have done. On the other front we have to be critical of the conduct of the association in certain matters in the interest of stakeholders and the profession at large.

As a college librarian it is proud that we have professional organization to protect the interest of the librarians but it has to be more transparent and proactive but not limited to mere felicitation. Why this has been discussed here is in last August the whole librarians’ day was dedicated to felicitation. Chief Guests were hardly left any time to speak on the issues important for the profession. In Gulbarga we all the participants were asked to subscribe “College News” brought out by the association and we did subscribe the magazine. It was not distributed as promised by the office bearers of the association and later they told us that it was posted to your personal address so far it has not reached us.  There may be genuine reasons for not posting it. But for the growth of the association it is important to stand for what they promised us. There will be a meeting of college librarian on 5th March 2010 in Mysore. They have asked all the college
 librarian to come with certain amount of money and the agenda is to discuss six pay commission pay scale and other matters. There are other organizations to look into the matter. There are other problems in college libraries let us fight for that. There is no space for libraries in most of the colleges. Let us fight for providing space for libraries. Financial capital is important but it is intellectual capital we need for association to grow.  Collect fund once in year or twice, time and again brought out the balance sheet, inform all the stakeholders involved in about the status. Organize talk by eminent personalities on important issues librarians are facing, associate with other library organizations to expand its scope and activities.

[Views are personal]

With best wishes
Vasantha Raju N
GFGC-Periyapatna