[LIS-Forum] Digital repository software for a corporate library

savitra sirohi savitra.sirohi at osslabs.biz
Tue Jul 27 18:05:58 IST 2010

Richa,

I can help you with two questions:

>> 2. Can DSpace help us (librarians) manage issue & return of books too.

No, Dspace is designed for long term preservation of digitial
material. It is not designed to be a library management system.

>> 3. Is there any significant difference of space occupied by koha and Libsys and the records of documents therein on server.

Unlikely, both are transaction systems, that record data. Such systems
should take up very less disk space.

In any case disk space should not worry you, since it is very cheap nowadays.

I am not clear as to what your requirements are - do you have a lot of
visual material in digital or electronic format or are these physical
items?

If you have these in digital format, you should use Dspace. If these
are physical you should use Koha. Note that in Koha It is possible to
provide links to electronic material, which can in turn be stored on
Dspace.

So a Koha + Dspace combination is also something you might want to
consider if you have electronic material and physical items that you
want to circulate.

Thanks,
Savitra Sirohi
Nucsoft OSS labs