[LIS-Forum] Digitization is not a Long-Term Solution

naganarasimha shailaja naganarasimhas at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 10:28:15 IST 2010

Dear Friends
This is a very important discussion. Mindless digitisation of old records may not be helpful in every situation or in all organisations. It would be a disaster if we don't preserve the original. The situation which we are facing right now in our organisation is exactly the issue raised in this discussion. Our records of 60 years are in Microfilm, but film is slowly deteriorating, Reader/ printers are not manufactured any more, Consumables for reader/ printers are not available, Good service providers are not forthcoming. we are fully aware of the disasters of digitisation as we are not in position to convert the back up tapes created in 2003. Experience of some institutions who lost their original documents in the process of digitisation and their digital copies are not readable have come to our knowledge.If digitised,every change in Hardware or software requires the updating of the whole record. You can imagine the quantum of records created in
 a newspaper office. Professional friends please come out with solutions.
Regards
N.Shailaja
Asst. Editor.
Information Centre,