[LIS-Forum] ABCD : Free Open Source Software (FOSS) for Libraries

sangeeta dhamdhere sangeetadhamdhere at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 10 11:49:06 IST 2009

Dear Divya,

ABCD is very good library Automation cum digital library FOSS Free open source software available.It is most recent and covers almost all the  needs of librarians and documentalists.

I am lucky one who got chance to attend the first workshop and training programme of this software in STIMULATE 8 Program in Nov-Dec 2008 at Vrije Univeristy, Brussels and learn the software from Dr. Prof. Egbert De Smet who is Supervisor of whole ABCD project.

It is becoming very popular in USA,UK and African countries. Many well known libraries have converted their database in this software and started using it.As it is new many workshops and training programmes are going on in various countries.

ABCD is basically from the ISIS family of UNESCO. It is full-fledged application of integrated library management system. Orignial development of it is centrally managed by Bireme and its own programmers, as the project is supported by Flemish Interuniversity Council (VLIR.

ABCD aims at providing an integrated library management tool covering all main functions in a library, i.e. bibliographic database management, users management, loans management, end-user searching on local and external bibliographic databases and library portal.

You can download this software from below link
http://bvsmodelo.bvsalud.org/php/level.php?lang=en&component=31&item=13

You can refer following link which i have created for tutorials and basic idea of software.
https://sites.google.com/site/abcdtutorials/

For more details and features of the software, for arranging training workshops and guidance you can contact
De Smet Egbert <egbert.desmet at ua.ac.be>
prof.dr. Information & Library Science, University of Antwerp, Belgium
associated consultant INASP, Oxford UK
Supervisor of ABCD project

With best regards.

Sangeeta Dhamdhere
Librarian
Modern College of Arts, Science and Commerce,
Ganesh-Khind,
Pune 411 053
Ph.020-25654021-224
http://moderncollegegk.org/