[LIS-Forum] Now Send E-Mail In Indian Languages!

विनायक गोंजारे vinayak.gonjare at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:00:52 IST 2009

Respected All,

*Gmail provides you with an easy way to type and send e-mail in your
language of choice*

For those of you who prefer to communicate in Hindi but did not have an easy
way to type and send e-mail in your language of choice, Gmail has something
to offer you. Google has launched a new feature in Gmail that makes it easy
to type e-mail in Indian languages.

When you compose a new mail in Gmail, you should now see an icon with an
Indian character. This feature is enabled by default for Gmail users in
India. If you do not see this function enabled by default, you will need to
go the "Settings" page and enable this option in the "Language" section.

Once you click the Indian languages icon, you can type words the way they
sound in English and Gmail will automatically convert the word to its Indian
local language equivalent. For example, if a Hindi speaker types "*namaste*",
it will get transliterated to its phonetically equivalent Hindi text.

Gmail currently supports five Indian languages -- Hindi, Tamil, Telugu,
Kannada and Malayalam. So you can select the language of your choice from
the drop-down list next to the icon.

According to Chandramouli Mahadevan, software engineer, Google, "We built
this new feature using Google's transliteration technology, which is also
available on Google India Labs, Orkut, Blogger and iGoogle. I hope you find
this feature useful to communicate with those of your friends and family who
prefer to write in their native language, and it will be available soon to
businesses and schools using Google Apps. Now back to replying to all those
Hindi e-mails I got from my family and friends today!"

Google's Gmail service will celebrate its fifth birthday tomorrow. Gmail,
known as Google Mail in Germany, Austria and the United Kingdom, was made
available to the public by Google on 1 April 2004, after extensive rumours
of its existence during testing. Five years after its launch, Gmail now
offers over 7GB of storage but is still labelled as a beta version.

Thanks and Regards,

Mr. Vinayak Gonjare
Librarian
Naik Foundation