[LIS-Forum] SOUL-INFLIBNET-NEWGENLIB (I.R.N.Goudar)

savitra sirohi savitra.sirohi at osslabs.biz
Tue Mar 10 12:40:47 IST 2009

All,

As part of a private sector software company offering commercial
services for Koha, kindly allow me to offer my 2 cents on this
interesting topic:

1. Why ignore Koha: the discussion inexplicably ignores Koha. Dr.
Goudar even said "stop promoting Koha".

Let us remember following about Koha vis a vis Newgenlib:
* Wider worldwide installed base
* Stronger vendor support (14 worldwide)
* Wider and more active user community
* Stronger feature set
* A true open source software (also older) that over time has matured
the powerful open source software development processes

The future potential of any open source software is directly related
to these factors and in my view it is likely Koha will  retain and
even extend its advantages over other packages.

2. SOUL as open source: This is an interesting thought. The market is
better served by several competing open source and commercial
packages. The problem is SOUL is Windows based. Windows licenses will
likely become a barrier to adoption and market adoption is the oxygen
that drives open source software development. But SOUL can only
benefit by becoming open source, this might be something worth trying.

3. Open Source Software Support & Role of Government entities: People
have called for Government entities to support open source software.
This is a welcome move, but the implicit assumption is that the
private sector is unwilling or unable to offer services at low rates.

Would like to point out that today we are 1 of 3 private companies
offering Koha support in India. Our rates are comparable to those
offered by Government entities. Also the private sector in general is
more innovative, responsive and service oriented.

Governments should to get involved only in case of market failures,
today when India is an IT powerhouse, taxpayer's money is better spent
on more pressing areas. A transparent, competitive, mostly private
sector ecosystem will best serve the consumers and the country.

Thank You,
Savitra Sirohi
MD, Nucsoft OSS Labs
http://www.osslabs.biz