[LIS-Forum] Fw: INFLIBNET has launched new Version of Soul 2.0 - Very Expencive for College librararies

Prof. N. Laxman Rao. naglaxman at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 08:21:50 IST 2009

helo friends

it is so unfortunate many have purchased SOUL and are experiencing both gud and bad. why can't they write their experiences. INFLIBNET is an institution and people come and go, but Institution survives. we had lot of expectations from the earlier heads including the present head, who is efficient, successful and matured professional.

people must be able to forward their real (no bias) reactions both negative and positive. It is so sad that we do not react on any issue especially burning issues relating to our profession. we need to also OBJECTIVELY react on several issues such as performance of associations, organisations (such as NISCAIR, NATIONAL LIBRARY) book depositary act, NKC recommendations (i want to bring to ur notice that the Central Advisory Board of Education, CABE has rejected recommendations).

LET US NOT TAKE THE INDIVIDUALS AS A CASE AND KEEP QUITE DUE TO OUR RELATION / OBLIGATION TO THEM AS THE INSTITUTIONS AND PROFESSION IS IMPORTANT.

I WROTE THE COMENT ON SOUL based on more than 100 installations in Andhra Pradesh, where not more than single digit (if i am right it is just two colleges are using partially (one of them is Mr Laxma Reddy). our comments and reactions enables the concerned to re-examine the issues for better.

as some one suggested that the cost of SOUL  is also very high. one of the comment that is stated is that it is gud on the basis of evaluation but not on real use? even the INFLIBNET can opt for NEWGENLIB and develop and provide service (iam not an advocate for single software). we can also think of other open source software also? we can see the LINUX, a open source software the way it is developing at faster rate.

ULTIMATELY IT IS THE PROFESSIONALS WHO HAVE TO USE AND ENJOY OR SUFFER BY CHOOSING A SOFTWARE.

WITH MANY YOUNGSTERS, WHO ARE DYNAMIC NEED TO COME FORWARD AND CLAIM UR RIGHT TO LEARN AND WORK.

WITH BEST WISHES TO ALL MY PROFESSIONAL FRIENDS

LAXMAN RAO