[LIS-Forum] Single portal for university libraries

raghupawar at gmail.com raghupawar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:30:13 IST 2009

Single portal for university libraries

Bangalore: Students and faculty members of all state universities
canaccesses text books, e-journals and reference manuals of the Bangalore
University library by visiting the university portal sitting in their own
libraries.

The Bangalore University is planning to set up a "single portal" for its
library and the proposal had already been approved in the recent
Inter-University Board (IUB) meeting which was held at Belgaum. AS
Srikanth, secretary of the department of higher education, said, "The
proposal was approved by the IUB. I think they will start the project soon."

The university had come up with the idea because it is difficult for all
the colleges to subscribe to or buy international journals and reference
books, added Srikanth.

To plan the project the university is organising a meeting with the
Vice-Chancellors of all state universities."We will have a
Vice-Chancellors' conference within the next 15 days to discuss the issue,"
said

Dr N Prabhu Dev Vice-Chancellor, Bangalore University.
The university will also set up a task force to implement the project
without any delay. "In the first phase we are planning to digitalise the
library,"he added.

SOURCE: DNA - 10 July 2009

Best Regards,
Raghavendra R