[LIS-Forum] Post Graduate Diploma in Application of Open Source Software in Library (PGDAOSSL)

kanwaljit kaur Dhindsa kanwaldhindsa at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:22:25 IST 2009

This is a great effort which is required for coming professionals & also for
already in profession peoples to start  the Post Graduate Diploma in
Application of Open Source Software in Library (PGDAOSSL) for them.

For the curriculam,please choose not some professionals, but you need an
advice from all working in the field of open sources or you may also need
the some professionals from computer sc. deptt. also, please check & contact
for such institutes wich are using open sources in practice as well to
contact some consultants of open sources...

Yes, to work effectivelly with open sources, we also need some other s/w
like MS-SQL(Free from Microsoft), MYSQL etc.we also check for all the s/w
required before installation of library softwares like perl modules for KOHA
etc., some other standards are also required for such purpose like....DUBLIN
core, MARK etc. with traditional AACR2 etc's knowledge.
Some hardware practical knowledge alongwith Networking setup is also
required.
Specifications to set up a server , take a backup etc. are also required.
Like IISER, Mohali is using LINUX operating systems in their labs, you can
contact the respective person who is handling all these things.
Yes, of course we also need to train  our professionals in installation &
troubleshooting in open access softwares also.
We need to start from zero like from the type of file formats etc. to
thesuccessful  implementation of  such softwares.

For example:
For Koha: you can contact DELNET,New Delhi or check some other consultants
from koha.org
If you think regarding the time & money of your students, than it's better
to start these courses in parts like:

One for basic knowledge, another for operating systems & then another for
specific s/ws like one for KOHA & one for
Greenstone etc.

I can help you in case of KOHA, WAMP,JOOMLA etc.

Best of Luck

Kanwal Dhindsa

Mrs.Kanwaljit Kaur Dhindsa
Librarian