[LIS-Forum] help required with catalogue

Mon Jan 12 13:43:01 IST 2009

Dear Members, the following mail was sent to a personal email id. It is,
in turn, being forwarded to lis-forum. Those desirous to respond, may
do so directly to Nirmita Narasimhan <nirmita at cis-india.org>

Thanks,

  - moderator

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:35:20 +0530 (IST)
From: Nirmita Narasimhan <nirmita at cis-india.org>

I am Nirmita and am working with Centre for Internet and Society (CIS) in
Bangalore, of which Professor Arunachalam is a distinguished fellow. I am
working on issues of internet, technology and accessibility for disabled
persons and as part of my work I am involved in a project for creating an on
line data base of reading resources for visually challenged individuals. CIS is
a member of the Daisy Forum of India (DFI). We have in our last meeting decided
that all organisations of the DFI shall send us their catalogues which we will
compile into a combined catalogue and put up on the inclusiveplanet web site.
There are a couple of issues here- the organisations have not strictly
conformed to any single manner of maintaining a catalogue and the content
comprises books in different formats such as electronic, daisy book, braille
level 1, braille level 2, audio and so on. So there are a few things which we
need to do, namely, (a) decide on a format which can be followed by all the
organisations henceforth for their libraries, (b) specify values for
classification, (c) identify a cataloguing software and compiling the catalogue
itself. I was wondering if you could help us in any way with that. Please let
me know your thoughts on this.

Looking forward to your response,

best wishes,

Nirmita Nirmita Narasimhan Centre for Internet and Society No. D2, 3rd Floor,
Sheriff Chambers 14,
Cunningham Road, Bangalore - 560 052
P: +91 80 4092 6283 M: 098458 68078