[LIS-Forum] Reg. Cost of workshop on open source software

library cdac libsedek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 11:02:48 IST 2009

Dear Professionals,

I agree with what Mr. Mishra says. We should keep the cost of such workshops
to a minimum. One can always have sponsors to meet some expenses. We had
organized a two-day workshops on Koha, in 2006 and 2007and other open source
softwares where we charged Rs. 500/- in all because  it was a workshop on
open source -- open for all.

In fact many of the Library Open source software can easily be downloaded
and installed by the librarians  with a help of a computer person. If you do
not have a computer person in your institute, then one may have to pay some
minimum charges to get installed. Once installed it is not very difficult to
develop a library system b'cos all of us are versed with the library
fundamentals.  I am sure there must be some  open source forum of Library
professionals already existing where one  can address their problems and get
it solved. If not, we can create one such forum. For Koha, there is already
an international forum where u can address your problems and there are so
many users of Koha and the developers of Koha who will answer your questions
and give solutions.

Truptee Shah
CDAC Mumbai