[LIS-Forum] Cost of workshop on open source software

G.K.MANJUNATH gkm at igidr.ac.in
Thu Feb 19 09:50:27 IST 2009

I would like to provide certain basic facts about the cost involved in
organizing a workshop. This is based on our own experience:

        1. A three day workshop means boarding for 4 days. It would cost
           appx. Rs.800 per person. ( Breakfast, tea, lunch and dinner. )

        2. Travelling allowance ( by air ) for minimum 2 resource
           persons, appx.  Rs.20000/-

        3. Remuneration for two resource person for three days - appx. Rs.
           4000/-

        4. Course material, stationery and workshop kit  Rs. 500/- per
           person

        5. Misc expenses and transport  Rs.5000/-

         6. Lodging fee would be extra.

If there are 20 participants, the cost per participant, without lodging,
appx. would be Rs.2750/-. ( I have made a very conservative estimation ).

Therefore, a fee of Rs.3000/- per person looks very reasonable.

It is assumed that, the hosting institute would provide computer lab and
classroom free of charge. If not, there would be additional cost.

The cost would come down if there is any funding from external sources.

I very much appreciate other organizers  to share their experience.

thanks.

       G.K.Manjunath
       Chief Librarian
       Indira Gandhi Inst of Development Research
       Film City Road
       Santosh Nagar
       Goregaon(East )
       MUMBAI - 400 065