[LIS-Forum] Inexplicable discrimination and disparity by the UGC

sabuj kumar chaudhuri sabuj_c at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 21:01:42 IST 2009

Dear Friends,
Many of us raising the various service conditions and our pay scale that has been reported in lthe atest UGC PRC Report and HRDG Report and all are absolutely correct.But still I could not understand when the UGC and the HRDG report are saying about parity of librarians with the teachers but throughout its report in all the key points they have discriminated these minority class. They are looking for NET/SET qualification in addition to 55% in MLIS for the post of College Librarian/Assistant librarian in the university but from their reports it appear that possibly they are determined not to redeignate us as Assistant Professors in LIS. Though the UGC is advocating the modern outlook in higher education of the country but actually they are satisfying the popular demands of the teachers with vested interest.With the time the stereotype definition of the "teachers" and "teaching" must be changed. Librarians are teachers in their own right. They must not
 think themselves no more subordinate to the teachers.They have allowed Major/Minor research project, PhD project for the librarians in this report but they have not spent not a single word on our leave rules like FIP leave, study leave and other admissible leaves for teachers.It is absolutely undemocratic and step-motherly-attitude towards us.Our collleagues have already mentioned about the disparities for promotion to the post of Deputy Librarian and Librarian.Until we are being redesignated as Assistant Professors/ Associate Professors/ Professors-this problem will be continued and we the librarians will suffer forever.It is the one and only one remedy for restore our selfrespect.We must fight back to make the UGC compel to think about the matter seriously for its immediate redressal.

with best wishes to all.

sabuj

Dr. Sabuj Kumar Chaudhuri
Librarian
Basanti Devi College [http://www.basantidevicollege.org]
(An affiliated college under University of Calcutta)
147B, Rash Behari Avenue
Kolkata-700 029, West Bengal
India
Phone:(033)24641012