[LIS-Forum] emoluments offered to library professionals

bhawna vashishtha bhawnavashishtha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:50:10 IST 2009

We read many advertisement for vacancy on various posts. What I feel is that
emoluments offered to library professionals particularly in *private
institutions* are much less as compared to the people of same calibre
working in other professions.

One more thing I would like to share, in India if want to apply for any
higher designations we have been always asked to prove our credentials in
terms of percentage of marks in MLIS, BLIS, and through UGCNet etc.
But if we try to find out our employability in any international
institutions what I have observed that most of the nicely paid jobs require
a software engineer or people trained in specific fields of computer science
profession as most of the work is handled by software. Is this indicate that
this is the time when we need a drastic change in our curriculum? And
requires people who are in this profession by choice rather then BY CHANCE.

Bhawna Vashishtha
Semi Professional Assistant
Delhi University