[LIS-Forum] Writings of great Indians on an open access portal (fwd)

Library library at rri.res.in
Tue May 13 10:42:22 IST 2008

Dear all:

To begin with, we planned to include in our IR all the newspaper
clippings(1925s and onwards), which are very much in demand by historians
of science. We scanned all the newspaper clippings in our archives
(relating to Raman) and sought copyright clearance from all the
newspapers, (which they gave readily) and posted them in our IR;

Then, we showcased all the research output of RRI from 1971 to date,
keeping them open access wherever publishers have given permission to
authors. The other articles are restricted access and one can e-mail us
for a copy;

With the above exposure, we hit upon the idea of digitizing all of
C.V. Raman's collected works, published by the Indian Academy of
Sciences in 6 volumes and followed the following norms:

- We first got the Indian Academy's permission to digitize and make pdfs
and host in IR;

- Then we sought individual publisher's copyright permission for each
article/s highlighting that papers published are of historical
significance, which needs preservation and wide dissemination by placing
in the IR;

- Many of the publishers gave copyright clearance with the result that
we could host them in our IR and make them open access.

For carrying out such a stupendous task, one needs an open mind, sustained
effort, dedication and team spirit.

Dr.Y.M.Patil
Librarian

  Raman Research Institute Library,        Tel:  +91 80 2361 0122 Extn 250
  C V Raman Avenue, Sadashivanagar,        Fax:  +91 80 2361 0492
  Bangalore 560 080, India.                Email: library at rri.res.in