[LIS-Forum] Right to Information Act -Jobs should be given to Information Professionals

Library library at rri.res.in
Tue Mar 18 14:46:07 IST 2008

I am happy that the issue has been raised now. There is nothing like a
person has to be trained to become Information Officer or Public
Information Officer to deal with RTI Act 2005. In an organization, a
person is identified and appointed as Central Public Information Officer.
He has to wade through lot many files and get acquinted with RTI Act 2005.
On regular basis, circulars and guidelines keep pouring from the concerned
at the top from central govt.

I have been working as CPIO and Vigilance Officer since last few years and
discharging duties assigned satisfactorily by dealing with RTI Act 2005
and Vigilance related mamtters.

I donot think LIS Schools could do any thing on such matters. Any one can
become  a CPIO or Vigilance Officer in an organization.
Y.M.Patil

  Raman Research Institute Library,        Tel:  +91 80 2361 0122 Extn 250
  C V Raman Avenue, Sadashivanagar,        Fax:  +91 80 2361 0492
  Bangalore 560 080, India.                Email: library at rri.res.in

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Padmanabha Vyasamoorthy wrote:

> I am sorry to reply this message after such a long gap.
>
> Vasanth has raised an important issue. He states that Librarians are
> better suited to work as Information Officers and that they are
> neglected. I would like to ask a few questions and elicit views of LIS
> personnel on these:
>
> How many librarians know what is this monster RTI all about? What is
> the role of RTI officer in a govt institution? What type of
> information is the scope of RTI Officer? How is the librarian better
> suited? What do we librarians learn or know about Govt way of files (&
> records) organization - numbering, generation, storing, retrieving,
> archiving, rules governing files & documents & records preservation
> and conservation etc? How about confidentiality coding and providing
> restricted access? How about documents relating to public -- say birth
> certificates. With absolutely no theoretical or practical knowledge of
> any of these things how do librarians claim that they are better
> suited? The RTI was talked about for a number of years before becoming
> law. Why did not LIS schools provide changes in the curriculam to
> mould librarians into RTI officers?
>
> Well I have a lot of doubts.  Any comments?
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2005 at 11:12 AM, vasanth raj <gooche_1981 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> Dear Sir/Madam,
>>

>>  The much awaited  Right to Information Act has come into force in India.And already we have seen and heard that there is a  great demand  for information which are vital to its functioning and also to contain corruption and to hold Governments and their instrumentalities accountable to the governed.But Govt Authorities have totally neglected the library and Information Professionals, most of the people who have appointed as public Information Officer have came from Journalism and mass communication." Public Information Officer" job is best suited for LIS professionals where the skills of storage , organise and dissemination of Information is highly required.Already there are instances that Public Information Officers have failed  to provide right information to the right people at a right time.This is because of lack of skills to organise and storage of Information.This is the right time to Library Association and Universities to pressurize Govt. appoint library and Info!
 r!