[LIS-Forum] Traditional journal publisher support author right

Sukhdev Singh esukhdev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:13:17 IST 2008

Dear Friends,

It seems the Open Access movement has started making it impact of
traditional academic publishing. However, their statement as inferred
by Mallikarjun, sounds like if the publishers are doing some favor to
authors.

Remember, all rights are originally with the authors. It is the
authors (not publishers) who are doing favor to publishers by
confering or transfering their rights in their favor.

I feel, now authors need to be aware of smart negotiation techniques.
Negotiations!!? Yes nothing bad in it. After all authors are  giving
away their property. [Which most of the time is produced by authors
utilizing national resources directly or indirectly]. They should
better negotiate for NON-EXCLUSIVE agreements.

Here is a good guide for authors to protect their rights.

http://www.arl.org/sparc/author/addendum.html

Regarding self-archiving of articles, reputed publishers like Elsevier
are allowing authors to archive their Pre / or Post-Print Versions of
their papers.

Check out http://romeo.eprints.org for publishers policies.

(Server Problem, When I checked).

Again I would refer to the cartoon by PLOS.ORG

"You Write The Papers,
You Review the Papers..
Why Should You Pay to Read Them?"
- http://www.plos.org/downloads/plos_cartoon001.jpg