[LIS-Forum] New technology for printing books one at a time

Leonard Fernandes leonardfernandes at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 22:18:23 IST 2008

Hello,

I would like to bring your notice to a service we have recently introduced in India - print-on-demand service. This allows us to print one copy of a book at a time thus totally avoiding the need to invest in 1000 copies of book as is usually the case when books are printed using the traditional method of printing.

As expected, the unit cost of a book is high. For example, a 200 page book of size 8 x 5 with a coloured cover, perfect binding and lamination costs Rs. 175/-. Compare this with the unit cost of a book when it is printed using the offset method and you will find a vast difference. A similar book can cost Rs. 40/- using the offset method on condition that you print 1000 copies. However, if you want only 1 copy or only 10 copies of the book either because they are lecture notes compiled together for a class, or because it is a collection of papers saved for future reference or because it is dissertation published handsomely in a book format, it really does not make sense to invest 40000/- (40 x 1000). A better option would therefore be to have it printed and published using the print-on-demand method where one copy would cost Rs. 175/- and 10 would cost Rs. 1750/-.

Although we had never imagined such a use for this technology, a chance visit to the Central Library in Panaji, Goa, enlightened us on what this might be put to us. The Library has manuscripts dating back to pre-portuguese times that visitors to the library often wish to visit. These manuscripts and books are sometimes too delicate to leave in the hands of readers. We are therefore in talks with the library to have these works scanned and have one copy printed so that the copy can be referred to. Copyrights will of course be taken care of during the exercise.

The process of having a book published is simple and allows authors to freely publish their books and manuscripts and distribute it themselves. We believe we have democratized the process of publishing and made it easy for authors to save their work for posterity. All details regarding preparation of manuscript, submission and delivery and even author royalty are explained on our website http://cinnamonteal.dogearsetc.com. Further, in case of clarifications, we are only a phone call away at 91 98503 98530

Regards,

Leonard Fernandes
Cell: +91-98503 98530
Skype: leonardjensan