[LIS-Forum] Assess Yourselves

loan fayaz fayazlib at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jul 14 14:24:20 IST 2008

Respected/Dear Professional Colleagues,
It is time to assess ourselves where we stand. In United States our profession is one of the top TEN professions of the world but here in India it is considered beneath of all. Who is to blame and Who is responsible? Think seriously, are we still custodians or information providers? Who transforms the theory into pratice? and who provides the CAS, SDI, IAS and the like?
My request to one and all is that we should be ambitious to achieve pinnacle of professional competencies. This is particularly true today when swift change is sweeping across the globe.We cannot close our eyes to the realities around as does the ostrich when he faces some danger. Open your eyes, see what changes are taking place and try to understand and adopt them.Information access environment is changing in the ICT environment; librarians have to change and keep pace; or, they will be said thank u very much u have done your role and pl.go.
With best wishes
Fayaz Lone
(Documentation Officer)
Centre of Central Asian Studies,