[LIS-Forum] NewGenLib as open source

Dr. R.K. Kamat rkk_eln at unishivaji.ac.in
Sat Jan 12 14:44:47 IST 2008

Dr. P.V. Konnur (Librarian, Bangalore University) will be the happiest
person with this announcement. I remember that Goa University Library was
used as test bed for testing few modules of New Gen Lib when Dr. Konnur
was working as Librarian there.

> Dear Members of the List
>
> I am a very happy to announce that  NewGenLib, the integrated library
> management system is now open source. Details are given below.
> *
> *
> *NewGenLib Open Source*
>
>    1. NewGenLib (www.newgenlib.com <http://www.newgenlib.com>) is now
>       open source under the most widely used open source software
>       licensing system called GNU GPL (General Public License)
>    2.  The open source binaries and source code can be downloaded from
>       http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/newgenlib. Installation notes
>       for Linux and Windows are also available at the site. The user
>       manual is also downloadable.
>    3. Librarians/developers who download the software can post their
>       views, problems, solutions, discussions, etc., on
>       https://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=210780.
>    4. NewGenLib is web-based and has a multi-tier architecture
>       (www.kiikm.org/newgenlib_architecture.jpg); uses Java (a
>       swing-based librarian's GUI) and the JBoss (J2EE-based Application
>       Server). The default backend used is the open source PostgreSQL.
>    5. NewGenLib functional modules: Acquisitions management (monographs
>       and serials); technical processing; circulation control; system
>       configuration; a desktop reports application and an end-of-day
>       process (scheduler) application.
>    6. NewGenLib is compliant with MARC-21 format.
>          1.  Has a MARC editor
>          2. Allows seamless bibliographic and authority data import into
>             cataloguing templates
>    7. Form letter templates are configurable using openOffice 2.0 as ODT
>       and htm.
>    8. SMTP mail servers can be configured for emails that can be sent
>       form functional modules.
>    9. NewGenLib allows creation of institutional open access (OA)
>       repositories compliant with the OAI-PMH.
>   10. NewGenLib servers are SRU/W compliant supporting MARC-21 and MODS
>       3.0 metadata formats. CQL (level 1) with both Bath and Dublin Core
>       Profiles are supported.
>   11. NewGenLib is Unicode 3.0 compliant. It is an internationalized
>       application. English and Arabic interfaces are already available.
>   12. Is RFID ready.
>
> Regards
> L.J.Haravu
> Trustee
> Kesavan Institute of Information and Knowledge Management
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Dr. R.K. Kamat
Reader in Electronics & Coordinator Internet Unit,
Shivaji University,
Kolhapur