[LIS-Forum] NewGenLib as open source
haravu at newgenlib.com
Thu Jan 10 20:59:13 IST 2008
Dear Members of the List
I am a very happy to announce that NewGenLib, the integrated library
management system is now open source. Details are given below.
*NewGenLib Open Source*
1. NewGenLib (www.newgenlib.com <http://www.newgenlib.com>) is now
open source under the most widely used open source software
licensing system called GNU GPL (General Public License)
2. The open source binaries and source code can be downloaded from
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/newgenlib. Installation notes
for Linux and Windows are also available at the site. The user
manual is also downloadable.
3. Librarians/developers who download the software can post their
views, problems, solutions, discussions, etc., on
4. NewGenLib is web-based and has a multi-tier architecture
(www.kiikm.org/newgenlib_architecture.jpg); uses Java (a
swing-based librarian's GUI) and the JBoss (J2EE-based Application
Server). The default backend used is the open source PostgreSQL.
5. NewGenLib functional modules: Acquisitions management (monographs
and serials); technical processing; circulation control; system
configuration; a desktop reports application and an end-of-day
process (scheduler) application.
6. NewGenLib is compliant with MARC-21 format.
1. Has a MARC editor
2. Allows seamless bibliographic and authority data import into
7. Form letter templates are configurable using openOffice 2.0 as ODT
8. SMTP mail servers can be configured for emails that can be sent
form functional modules.
9. NewGenLib allows creation of institutional open access (OA)
repositories compliant with the OAI-PMH.
10. NewGenLib servers are SRU/W compliant supporting MARC-21 and MODS
3.0 metadata formats. CQL (level 1) with both Bath and Dublin Core
Profiles are supported.
11. NewGenLib is Unicode 3.0 compliant. It is an internationalized
application. English and Arabic interfaces are already available.
12. Is RFID ready.
Kesavan Institute of Information and Knowledge Management
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the LIS-Forum