[LIS-Forum] Status of Librarian

S K DEsale skdesale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 10:54:23 IST 2008

Dear professional friends,

I am very thankful to you for extending overwhelming response for our call
for meeting to discuss the status of library professionals and how we can
improve it. I am also thankful to professionals who could not make it but
convey their support to the movement. Friends I am glad to inform you that
as many as 62 librarians attended the meeting chaired by Dr. S. K. Patil
(Librarian, University of Pune) and almost everybody express their views on
the matter concern. All participants express the need of the strong
organization & a forum where everybody can have a say & it will work for the
development of LIS professionals. Accordingly "Pune University librarians
forum" was launched.

After the discussions in the meeting and on the different forums I suggest
that the forum should have following objectives

1)       To train library professionals for using new technology, effective
communication & designing need base services.

2)       Design Information literacy modules (for students from 11th std to
PG) and ask librarians to train students in information literacy (Most of
librarians are interested in delivering lectures in colleges)

3)       Develop e-learning modules for continuous learning of LIS
professionals

4)       Organize periodic workshops for training in handling latest
technology. open source software's, to develop communication skill etc.

5)        Provide consultancy services for automation, digitization &
setting up of new libraries etc.

6)       Convey our grievances to Govt. on the matters of staffing pattern,
Reserved seats in senate, Separate faculty of LIS, appointment of qualified
librarians at all colleges as per UGC scale, inclusion of LIS subject in the
list of electives for MPSC & UPSC exam etc.

Please send your suggestions.

With best Regards

Mr. S. K. Desale

Asst. Librarian