[LIS-Forum] How to get a usage feedback? - Need inputs

Suvarsha Walters suvarsha_w at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 10:05:14 IST 2008

Hi everyone,

I want to measure usage of Journals/Magazines (J/M) used in the library.

Let me give you the setting of the library:
Ours is a small corporate library where borrowing and returning of library material works mostly on trust. So it's up to the user to record material that he/she takes out of the library - including books and journals on cards placed in the library. While most of our users sincerely record books taken out, they are not bothered about the J/M. Moreover, J/M are also scanned and read when inside the library and replaced back (which is also usage).

For the last few months I tried attaching little slips of paper to new issues and asked people to write their names if they used it. But that was not very successful. I am now looking at new ways to record usage.

If you have had any practical experience or can come up with some innovative ideas, do let me know.

Thanks very much,

Suvarsha

Information Analyst,
HP Labs India