[LIS-Forum] Supplying Journal Articles - Does it Violate

Byrappa, Ananda (GE, Research) ananda.byrappa at ge.com
Tue Oct 23 14:22:40 IST 2007

LIS-Forum members,

Some thoughts on copyright related issues...

Most of us know that, using copyrighted material without rights-holders
permission for any purpose can be a violation of copyright. However,
there are some exceptions like Fair-use.

If organizations/Libraries and Librarians want to be copyright
compliant, then they should have clarity on scope of the fair use before
making use of the copyrighted documents. Otherwise, Librarians may be
risking their organizations for a possible copyright violation.

Relative to the ILL/journal articles sharing/distribution, CONTOU
guidelines indicate that Libraries can share/provide a maximum of 5
articles from a subscribed journal in a given year. More info is
available at: http://www.cni.org/docs/infopols/CONTU.html

Best Regards,
Anand

Ananda T.Byrappa