[LIS-Forum] Adding specialization

Sukhdev Singh esukhdev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:47:07 IST 2007

Dear Friends,

This is an age old debate!!

- What is more important? Information Professionals recognized for
their expertise in their own domain without depending upon any other
special education (Arts, Science, Social Science) background.

- Or do we need professionals from other domains having working
knowledge of Information Science?.

I would prefer the first one - Professionals not at mercy of other domains.

I have been suggesting the following model time and again.

It consists of three encapsulating cores.

1 - CORE - having the essential LIS philosophy, theory, Tools and Best
Practices.

2 - MIDDLE CORE - comprising of Information Technologies (All ICE
Technologies) that boosts the effectiveness of the CORE (1).

3 - INTERFACE CORE - This is the face that is perceived by Prospective
Employers. It takes the feedback from the job market,  adjusts the
MIDDLE Core to satisfy the Employers' requirements.

Regarding a particular university syllabus, I am not going to defend
anybody nor I would like to attack anybody personally.

Would only request everybody to avoid being personal. If someone feels
that he or she knows better - then please ignore this little mortal.

--Regards

Sukhdev Singh, NIC.