[LIS-Forum] Open science

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah_a at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 16:05:04 IST 2007

Friends:

Professor Amudhavalli of the University of Madras found the presentation by Liz Lyon of UKOLN
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/e.j.lyon/presentations.html
very useful. A few others may say the same thing. But what matters is are we preparing our students for the new era? Will the LIS students of today be able to excel in the fast changing technology-dominated environment? Will they be able to find their niche when constantly improving technology and the culture of networking and virtual collaboration among scientists may make intermediaries redundant? Are we training them to become life-long learners who can adapt to any situation? Or are we still in an age when it takes years to get even a minoe change in the syllabus?

It seems to me that we need to go a long way. Correct me if my perception is wrong.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]