[LIS-Forum] Efforts of MyDLIS, University of Mysore in introducing ICT skills among students

Murari murari at nio.org
Wed May 23 12:27:33 IST 2007

Dear Colleagues,
If you consider me a part of market, my answer would be Yes. LIS profession
needs to have ICT skills for following reasons:

1. Fast changing requirements (very large number of services that could be
provided to the users are web based). I do not wish to compartmentalize the
professionals in segments as Sukhdev did it. I feel even Public Libraries
Segment would welcome if a LIS person uses ICT skills in providing services.
Actually, we need to modernize public libraries. They are far backward in
developments (in general, in India) from other segments under description.
2. To have an edge over the IT staff in the organization as they are some
times (if you allow me let me say 'most of the times') non-cooperative with
LIS staff. LIS staffs dependency by having these skills on ICT staff would
reduce.
3. Recognition: The bosses feel that this person is doing something when you
are discharging your duties using modern tools and techniques. A traditional
LIS person, however, serious and dedicated (s)he is in providing services,
not have the same recognition of a person with ICT background.

How deep LIS professional should know about ICT? I think the products of
NCSI, DRTC, etc., have proved their visibility in market. So their syllabus
can be a model.

With warm regards,

Murari P Tapaswi
National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula 403 004 Goa, India
Phone: 91-(0)832-2450275; Fax: 91-(0)832-2450602
www.nio.org, www.coastalhazards.info, www.mangroveindia.org