[LIS-Forum] national or international and peer reviewed journals

Sukhdev Singh esukhdev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 12:16:37 IST 2007

Perhaps we are talking in two different layers. While I am referring
to definitional aspect of the term called "Peer Review"; you are
talking about "Quality Aspect" of Peer Review. For determining the
"quality" aspect of the "Peer Review" you are linking "Indexed" status
of the journal. While I am simply referring to "What is a Peer
Reviewed Journal?" by explaining a pre-publication process, you are
advocating quality aspect that process.

Indexing agencies see lot of other aspects along with the quality of
peer - review. These also include their commercial, political and
competing interests. We should not forget the point that Publication
is a Business Venture and thus various competing interests come into
play leading to creation and propagation of unscientific notions and
myths.

Any what ultimately matters for journals is - Sound and Validated
Reporting of Original Research with high probability  of further
Research Impact.

I am providing links to some material on the subject for the benefit
of other participants of the forum:

Peer Review
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

Peer Review—The Newcomers' Perspective
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1201308

--And just a taste of controversies around Peer Review:

Rejecting Nobel class papers
http://www2.uah.es/jmc/nobel.html
(cited in an editorial published in Nature, 16-Oct-2003, Vol 425,
Issue 6959, p.645)

--Sukhdev Singh, NIC.
http://indmed.nic.in