[LIS-Forum] my view on current topic of discussion on LIS schools and IT

Enukonda Rama Reddy enukondar at yahoo.co.in
Sat Jun 2 20:20:53 IST 2007

Dear professionals,
  Dr. Manjunath has raised basics issues for serious discussions and the ways to implement latest developments in IT and there applications in libraries appropriately.
  We need to divise mechanisms:
  1. one of the existing professional bodies should organize a national workshop, where serious discussions can concentrate on concept papers by invited speakers on the LIS education and training.
  2. It is important to frame implementable recommendations by sharing the responsibilty to get them implemented by lobbying with appropriate bodies (local and national).
  3. It is equally important to educate the Instittutional heads on the latest developments
  4. LIS Teachers and Librarians to have open and serious mindset for academic discussions and resolve to implement decisions.
  5. We should accept the fact that it is we who need to work hard to bring necessary changes and bring reputation to the profession.
  6. We need to proactively show some results with all the limitations that we face in our libraries resulting user satisfaction .
  7. Library Users' satisfaction will bring in some visibility to the library and library profession
  8. We know the Autonomy of our Institutions, but we should also know how to take the national level discisions to get implemented locally.
  9. We should learn to stop blaming each other (LIS teachers and Librarians)
  10. It is difficult but not impossible to bring in a deserving image to the profession at local and national level.
  11. Let us also look at the LIS depts. plan new exclusive programs of one year duration with the help of fellow faculties in the University. A multidisciplinary approach- knowledge resources management, digital libraries, content creation and management, Industrial information systems, online resource management etc.
  12. Evaluation and ranking of existing LIS depts. based on designated parameters to attract students from ASEAN, SAARC countries.
  These are some of my views. Colleagues can add or delete to bring in comprehensiveness on issues.
  rama reddy

Manjunath K <manjunath at mail.tapmi.org> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Dear professionals,

  After seeing several recent mails on LIS schools and their product capability, I feel, let us not focus on praise or abuse of any specific LIS school. Each school operates on its own strength and weakness. Parent body also contributes to such situations. We can focus our discussion on theme-based rather than any specific school-based. The school based discussions will lead to throwing mud on each other which, finds a tragic end.

  The current theme is how best LIS schools equip their students in compatible with current trends without loosing basic philosophy of library science.

  The curriculum need to be on par with current trends and at the same it needs to differentiate from other IT curriculum by its unique courses.

  The current trends in technology are wikis, open sources, blogs, podcasts, web classifications, digitization, webpage design and hosting, storing devices, methods of providing access to information resources, mobile technology etc

  1.  How best LIS schools can deliver these know-how to prospective librarians?,
  2.  what are basic requirements and expertise required to impart this knowledge?
  3. what government and universities should do to provide such environment/opportunity?
  4. what is expected from students? What are the basic or minimum skills they should possess?
  5. If UGC is insisting on uniform syllabus, how best the authorities could be convinced about incorporating latest techniques in the curriculum?,
  6. The rate of obsolescence is very high in IT products and services, how best we can address this threat
  7. conferences/seminars/discussions at national and regional level would bring teachers and practitioners together on one platform and participantsÂ’ wholehearted participation in such discussions might bring meaningful outcomes. Proactive role by LIS associations and schools would bring fruitful results. This benefits both the parties (teachers and students)

  We can amend or modify the above themes with our experiences.

  Manjunath
  __________________________
  Dr. Manjunatha K
  Librarian
  T.A. Pai Management Institute
  Manipal - 576 104
  Udupi Dist., Karnataka, India.
  Ph: +91-0820-2573551(Off),  2575161(Res)
  manjunath at mail.tapmi.org manju_tapmi at yahoo.com
  __________________________

Dr. E. Rama Reddy
  visiting Professor
  Faculty of Informatics
  Mahasarakham University
  Mahasarakham, Thailand
  enukondar at yahoo.co.in
  enukondar at gmail.com

 Looking for people who are YOUR TYPE?  Find them here!