[LIS-Forum] Next Generation OPAC- Open Source

J. K. Vijayakumar vjkjk at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 16:16:14 IST 2007

We are entering our 'second life'. The situation
develops around the world is like that, Libraries
and its services can not survive with out
integrating Social Networking and
personalisation.

'Digital Immigrants' (people of our generation,
who got immigrated to IT) are going to serve
'Digital Natives' (upcoming or present young
generation, who started using IT tools in their
nursery schools).Yo can see them blogging, or
always logged on to community spaces like Orkut,
MySpace etc, and sharing files on You Tube
etc.....How to catch them and bring them to
libraries?

I suggest all of you to read this news
http://www.insidehighereducation.com/news/2007/06/25/games

and a blog at
http://blogs.princeton.edu/librarian/2007/07/digital_natives.html

Thanks Noufal for the link.

Vijayakumar

http://www.insidehighereducation.com/news/2007/06/25/games

--- noufal palliparamban
<noufalkodur at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hello...
>
>   Villanova University’s Falvey Memorial
> Library has harnessed the power of contemporary
> Web search technology to develop an open-source
> resource discovery portal – VUFIND – that
> enables users to query and browse the library’s
> resources in a simple yet sophisticated manner.
> VUFIND is a “next generation catalog” that
> empowers users by supporting personalization
> and social networking services such as tagging
> and peer-to-peer comment sharing
>
>   Interesting features are the facets to refine
> search results, the tagging system, the
> possibility to add reviews and notes to the
> records and cite them, the availability infos
> inside the record itself, the similar items and
> many more. You can check them out at the live
> demo of VuFind.
>

>   Have a look and try the software at
> http://www.vufind.org/.
>
>   Regards
>
>   Noufal.P.P
>   Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
>

> ---------------------------------
>  Once upon a time there was 1 GB storage in
> your inbox. Click here for happy ending.
> --
> believed to be clean.

J. K. Vijayakumar
MLIS PhD IFLA-OCLC Fellow