[LIS-Forum] Supplying Journal Articles - Does it ViolateCopyrightsLaws

HENAG HENAG at infosys.com
Thu Dec 27 08:43:33 IST 2007

 Hello Ms Vasumathi,

I need a clarification of your point number 3 below.

You said librarian from a commercial organization can make copy of an article from a subscribed journal or library book for an employee of the same organization. However not allowed by the same or anyone else to get several copies of the said article or pages to distribute.

Is it not little contradictory ?  Please clarify ------ If the librarian has the authority for taking copy for an employee today , after a few days  someone else  from the same organization might require the same article for some other project for reference and requests librarian  for a copy , s/he has the authority hence again can take copy  and serve , and so on . Now how will we/ you should differentiate the distribution of the copy to the employees of the organization than that of serving his/ her user as a librarian.

Is there any line that we can draw between the word DISTRIBUTE and SERVE to the user of library?

I am bit confused for the word fair use / single use, and I think specially when we librarians in a profit making organizations are concerned  the copyright laws are not very transparently/ clearly  expressed . It is somewhat vague or not thought of  us while written them .  If you have better way or explicitly written authorised document please name it , I would like to  go through that .

Best Regards
Hena S Gupta  ( Sr. Librarian)
Infosys Technologies Ltd, Electronics City, Hosur Road, Bangalore-560100
Board : (91)-(080)-28520261 Ext 52196
Fax: (91)-(080)-28520742
We enable you to leverage knowledge anytime, anywhere!