[LIS-Forum] Help needed in Delhi

Padmanabha Vyasamoorthy vyasamoorthy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:52:21 IST 2007

Dear Sir

Please see the following message asking for help in Delhi.
This is an extract from a group to which librarians may not subscribe to.
I suggest that some retired librarian / Library Consultancy
organisation (like Delnet) in Delhi seriously interested in helping
out may contact Amitabh directly.

Vyasamoorthy
==========================

19. public library- suggestion needed
   Posted by: "aban_71" aban_71 at yahoo.co.in aban_71
   Date: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:56 am ((PDT))

Hello all members,

 i am a resident of Delhi.  In our locality, we have a temple which
has big premises say around 50'/5o'.  Since i am a member of the
executive committee, i have convinced everyone to start a public
library which is badly needed. Now i have been assigned the job to set
up the library. Initial work like preparing a consitution and rules
and regulation have been done.  Now i need suggestions on following
points :-

(i) Though we are collecting donation both book and cash, but library
can not be run just on donation. any suggestion for self-sustainable
funding pattern.
(ii)  the reading habit these days as all members knows almost becomes
nil amongst students who has become career-oreinted. what can be done
to increase footfall or membership of the library.
(iii)   Is there any NGOS or body who can help or advice in the matter?
(iv) we are also planning few social activities like computer
teaching, coaching for poor and deserving students, english speaking
course and teaching other life-sustainign skilss.  we need advice from
experienced people or NGOs and also needs volunteers in Delhi.
(v) any other suggestion on any matters pertaining to our library

we need valuable advice to make our venture successful.

Thanks

amitabh, Dwarka, Delhi

--
Dr P Vyasamoorthy,