[LIS-Forum] views on Library Professionals:LIS-Forum Digest, Vol 49, Issue 16

K A. Sardesai kshipras at rbi.org.in
Fri Apr 27 14:35:25 IST 2007

Respected Rao Sir,

I really accept your views and thoughts about our profession in the society.I always feel that the necessecity of Library professional is at every stage of life.When we step-in to the school since then till our death.The ways are different. But the true library professional are  always doing the best for every one to whom ,and where thay are attached.Apart from how they have treated.The  corporates ,financial organisations,banking industry,B schools ,International schools,Malls every where the services are creating the opportunities but the packages offered are depressive.The qualifications required are masters but the package offered is just Rs 5 to 7000 including universities.The library duties have not been called as core activities even though they are participating in research /asistance etc indirectly.

Sir, I accept your views since I was your student in PGDLAN at Hyderabad.Let me know how can we  join together to raise our profession? Andhra-Pradesh,Karnataka,Uttar pradesh are comparatively doing well for this profession but in Maharashatra mainly in Mumbai I found there are less jobs and no good network among the librarians.One BHOSLA is there but sorry to say that I am not amember.I feel there should a online network like lis-forum for every new and updates in the profession The Forum should take initiatives to get better packages for Library professionals from Library peon to Librarian, the time bound promotions/uplift of posts in the organisations, training for emerging technologies,,job opportunities , renumeration of packages etc.

Sir, there are many such librarians  dreamed to be a member or a librarian of any medical,corporate or research libraries and mainly when I read about a schlorship for  World Medical Libraries where there was only one Indian.To get these opportuities we all should come together I think online and the great personalities like Yourself,Dr A R D Prasad,Dr Devika ,Dr Manjunath should lead for us.Sam Pitroda has announced Knowledge Information Commission but is it upgrading LIS Professionals in practice or only IT professionals. Librarian should be IT+knowledge manager what I feel.

 Hoping for best image and assisting for the same in your mission.

With regards

Kshipra Sardesai
Asst Librarian,RBI, Bandra