[LIS-Forum] spam and virus mails

Mon Apr 23 17:24:15 IST 2007

Dear Member:

Of late, there has been a considerable increase in the number of of spam
and virus infected mails received by LIS-Forum postings' id
(lis-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in). We do have spam and virus filters
installed on our mail server but as to be expected, they are not
foolproof. During the last weekend, over 100 virus infected mails (but
striped of virus by the virus filer) had reached the lis-forum mailbox.
Most of these mails were from 3 / 4 mail ids. I'm not sure if the desktops
from which the virus infected mails are reaching lis-forum are infected or
something else is causing this problem. For the time being, I have deleted
those email ids from which virus infected mails are originating from the
lis-forum subscription list. These deleted Ids would have got an
intimation to that effect. They can re-subscribe anytime after ensuring
that their desktops are not infected with virus.

This morning (23 April) two such postings were accidentally broadcasted by
the moderator. These two messages DO NOT contain virus but they should not
have been broadcasted. Very Sorry about it and the inconvenience caused is
regretted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

  - Moderator