[LIS-Forum] Seeking suggestions to Classification Problems

Shikha Bhowmik shikha at isical.ac.in
Tue Apr 3 16:04:26 IST 2007

Dear LIS Professionals,

Can you please give any suggestion regarding my problems of classification?

I am now following 20th ED. of DDC, but I like to shift to the 22nd ED. The major areas
in which I am facing problems are 570-590. In these areas, the class numbers existing
in the 20th ED. are scattered and intermingled in the 21st and 22nd ED.in such a way
that if I shift to the new numbers, the other areas are being largely affected, and
hence, any 'see also' reference is likely to be impossible to be rendered in the
catalogue. But if the newly emerging subject areas are to be taken into account, I must
shift to the latest edition. Reclassification may only be the solution, but it is not
feasible everytime there is a major change, and as there is a large no. of collections.
I am seeking your views and help.

Regards,

Shikha Bhowmik
Associate Scientist,
Indian Statistical Institute Library, Kolkata