[LIS-Forum] Urgent Need of GSDL Software

Wed Nov 22 19:14:51 IST 2006

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:04:15 +0100
From: John Rose <johnrose at alumni.caltech.edu>

Dear Mr Nath,

There have been three Greenstone CD-ROMs issued by UNESCO, but you should get
the most recent one with version 2.70 which can be obtained from Jean-Claude
Dauphin at UNESCO <jc.dauphin at unesco.org>. Alternatively, you can download the
most recent version, 2.71 from the Greenstone site at http://www.greenstone.org

Please note that 2.71 is an "unstable" version which has many new functions but
has not been completely debugged. The latest "stable" version is 2.70w (more
recent than 2.70u on the UNESCO CD-ROM) which can be downloaded at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12123 . The next stable
version, 2.72, will be released around the end of 2006. It is very easy to
update the version you are using by deleting the old one (keeping the existing
collections) and installing the new one.

Greenstone enables a very easy and complete conversion of CDS/ISIS databases,
either "as is" (for publishing CDS/ISIS data only) or for building a digital
library with the documents associated with CDS/SIS records. There is a guide
for this at
http://greenstone.sourceforge.net/wiki/gsdoc/others/CDS-ISIS_to_DL.doc . If you
want to use version 2.71 for CDS/ISIS conversion (instead of using 2.70 or
waiting for 2.72), there are a couple of fixes to be done, which I could
provide.

Finally, there is a South Asian Greenstone support effort whose website is
http://greenstonesupport.iimk.ac.in ; you can sign up for the discussion/help
group for this effort on this site, and/or for the main Greenstone discussion
groups on the main Greenstone site.

                                                                                 Best
regards, John Rose

> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 01:14:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: Kumar Amar Nath <karn190 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [LIS-Forum] Urgent Need of GSDL Software
> To: lis-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
>
> Dear All
> please let me aware that how i can get the CD _Rom
> version of GSDL Software any version. Actually I am
> planning to make our library DIGITAL Library starting
> from digital access of Article collection. It is
> urgent please do the needfull.
>
> Kumar Aamar Nath
>
> Librarian
> R& D Centre