[LIS-Forum] Exemption of NET

prabhash at gipe.ernet.in prabhash at gipe.ernet.in
Mon May 22 16:52:09 IST 2006

Regarding exemption from NET/ SET, I think UGC is doing absolutely wrong
thing in considering the same. It is well known that with the introduction
of NET/ SET, people with minimum standard are getting into academic line,
be it lecturers or library professionals in UGC scales. Though my
observation may raise some controversy, but with my personal experience, I
can say that in most part of India, it is easy to get a Ph. D. than
clearing NET/ SET. I have seen people obtaining doctorate degrees without
making much effort but having powerful guides and their blessings. This is
true in most of the universities and let us accept it. Here, the need for
an eligibility condition like NET/ SET comes.

I think UGC should restrain from bringing mediocrity in higher education.

--
Prabhash N. Rath, Ph. D.
Documentation Officer