[LIS-Forum] Infringment of copyright - DO IT RIGHT IN FIRST PLACE

Sukhdev Singh esukhdev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:40:17 IST 2006

Friends,I would like further deviate from the topic.
Why not to DO IT RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE?
Why not to support and promote Open Access?
Academic World would be much better. No fear of infringment of copyrights.
Ranganathan's country-men must remember - "BOOKS ARE FOR USE". So workfor barrier - free access to scholarly information.
--Sukhdev Singh, NIC.http://openmed.nic.in

On 3/4/06, Murari <murari at nio.org> wrote:> Dear Moderator,> I would like to take some deviation from main issue and share my experience> on document requests. The most important thing that keeps Librarians> together is the resource sharing. Libraries help each other in supplying the> requested documents. I am a member on another discussion list of> International Association of Marine Science Library and Information Centres> (Iamslic). On this, at one time, large number of mails were for the document> requests. One day the association thought of making a union catalogue and> that is now being used extensively. The catalogue is based on Z39.50> protocol (http://library.csumb.edu/cyamus/ill/search.php).> Why not the like minded Librarians in India take up such kind of activity> and the NCSI take lead in providing facility and infrastructure? I receive> requested documents within 24 hours of my request from US or Europe on this.> With this facility, my users are extremely happy. They believe that I can> get the required document almost next day!>> With warm regards,>> Murari P Tapaswi, NICMAS, National Inst Oceanography, Dona Paula 403 004> Goa, India> Phone: 91-(0)832-2450 275; Fax: 91-(0)832-2450 602/03> URL: www.nio.org; www.mangroveindia.org; www.coastalhazards.info;> www.indian-ocean.org>> _______________________________________________> LIS-Forum mailing list> LIS-Forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in> http://ncsi.iisc.ernet.in/mailman/listinfo/lis-forum>