[LIS-Forum] Copyright issues

Vasumathi Sriganesh vasu at qmedin.com
Wed Jun 28 15:38:22 IST 2006

Copyright issues:

What is permitted:

Fair use

Photocopying: - Limited portion of the book (10%) or journal (two articles)
for academic or research purpose only
Scanning - The same limits for scanning and delivering to the end user for
his/her use and NOT for storing

For commercial use:

You can copy / scan to send to the end user any amount, but you need to pay
necessary copyright fee to the publisher or the Copyright Clearance Centre,
for that many articles / chapters.
Sometimes that works out to the same cost (or more) than the original!

If there is a demand, then the library needs to buy as many copies as
needed - not make copies. Digital copies for storage on an intranet - again
you need permission from the publisher - and they WILL charge a fee for the
same (the way you pay for consortia access)

I have put up a small guide to copyright in our QMed website at
http://www.qmedin.com/qmeddocs/copyright.html

And have pointed out two useful resources there -
http://www.bl.uk/services/information/copyrightfaq.html
http://www.iiap.res.in/library/ambacopy.doc

Regards

Vasumathi Sriganesh
Director, QMed Services
A-3, Shubham Centre, Cardinal Gracious Road
Chakala, Andheri East,  Mumbai 400099, India
Ph: 91-22-28229223 Fax:  91-22-28224358
Email: vasu at qmedin.com, Web:  www.qmedin.com