[LIS-Forum] RE: [DDN] bill gates transitions

arun at mssrf.res.in arun at mssrf.res.in
Mon Jun 19 04:07:28 IST 2006

Friends:

To take this discussion a little away from Microsoft and OSS.

The Gatses are among the largest funders of public health and school
education programmes. Both of these can benefit a great deal if knowledge
flows freely and unfettered. Currently the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation supports the public library movement through a major award. It
would only be a logical extension for the Gatses, Microsoft and the N&M
Gates Foundation to support the open access movement. Right now the Open
Society Institute and the Wellcome Trust are among the few institutions
that support the OA movement.

Subbiah Arunachalam