[LIS-Forum] Congrats to the IISc Prints team!

Tue Jun 13 15:00:58 IST 2006

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:09:42 +0530
From: Subbiah Arunachalam <arun at mssrf.res.in>

Congratulationa to NCSI team! I just came to know that the IISc Eprints
server now hosts 5,000 papers by the Institute's faculty and students. It
is a milestone worth celebrating. When I come on 1 June I shall bring a
packet of sweets.

Of course, we have a long way to go. For instance, we must persuade ALL
our faculty and students to deposit their papers (full text) on their own
initiative. We should reach 100% archiving. And we should persuade other
Indian institutions to perform as well as IISc has done.

Madhan Muthu of NIT-Rourkela suggests that we should have a meeting of all
repository managers, about 25-30 (?), to discuss how we could achieve 100%
archiving by authors. If we hold such a meeting, say at IISc with DSIR
support, we may also discuss issues relating to LOCKSS, preservation,
standards, and advocacy.

Best wishes.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]