[LIS-Forum] NET Exemption

Monali Panchbhai monalipanchbhai at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 1 12:28:43 IST 2006

Mr. Tiwari,
Let me tell you first of all it's not very much professional to directly comment on anybody's thoughts (Sorry that i me doing this with you right now, because of your comments on my as well Mr. Raj's mail). We have this forum to submit and to discuss topics/subjects in general and not to submit any direct comment for or against a person.
If you read my or anybody else's mail carefully, you will realise that no one claim that ALL people who have NET/SET certificate are below standard. Rather these mails indicate that NOT ALL those who clear these exam.s are upto standards. No one says that ALL Ph.D. M.Phil are upto standard and vis-a-vis. So atleast in India neither NET/SET or Ph.D etc assures the quality. It's just the duty of organisation or college to choose the best among all candidates as per corporate sector does. If they have to go by rules then they have to accept any quality but if they can keep open all the senses and are allowed by government to select the best, we professionals can really improve not only our field but also whole society.
If you have/had communication with those who are appearing for Exam. then you won't say that discussions of importance or unimportance of this exam are really fresh. Rather they are of old age. It just that all people together started discussion on forum after the decision of UGC. And UGC on it's own won't take any sudden decision unless they must have got feedback since long. I have seen so many people who has to either leave academic library and go for private job inspite of having knowledge and good amount of experience in field. Many have just stopped appearing for exam. Many has to work as Asst. Librarian just because of one certificate. And why everyone focus so much on communication. Tell me how many of our professionals actually take efforts to communicate with students? There are very few who has to go for teaching in library profession rest all has to work as librarian by sitting at one place. Then why do they have to clear these exam who give good communication skills as per your comments.
These are the views of those who has recently taken the degree and who are completing their library degrees just now. Cause these are the people who has actually seen and experienced the faculties with NET/SET certificates as per UGC rules. And thus from recent generation majority of people do not see any use of these exams.
So please respect the right of speach. Say thanks that we have not gone upto the levels where our doctors are going right now. Either or for any reason what is of no use is of no use. Even if few people like you, are in favour of these exam.s I and many do not think that this will really benefit and of use for profession.
And I would really appreciate if we all discuss the topic rather commenting and pointing out other people.
These exams were not there from childhood of teaching professionl. These were introduced for standardisation of skills, but if they are not upto the mark as all are experiencing. Then why not we go ahead for something new and check the impact of this decision of UGC as well.
Even the constitution gives us the right to amend certain rules and regulations for the benefit of society so why not try this new ideology as one of the way to improve the system. And in due course if this rule does not work something new will automatically replace the old. Cause Change is the only constant thing.
Regards,
Monali