[LIS-Forum] How to remain competitive in the era of Google, Amazon and ITunes

Sukhdev Singh esukhdev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 09:39:30 IST 2006

Dear Friends,
To remain competitive in the era of Google, Amazon and ITunes, we needto improve our bibliographic services in the following aspects:
I. Enhancing Search and Retrieval-Provide users with direct access to item-Provide recommender features Support customization/personalization-Offer alternative actions for failed or suspect searches-Offer better navigation of large sets of search results-Deliver bibliographic services where the users are-Provide relevance ranking and leverage full-text-Provide better searching for non-roman materials
II. Rearchitecting the OPAC-Create a single catalog interface for all of UC-Support searching across the entire bibliographic information space
III. Adopting New Cataloging Practices-Rearchitect cataloging workflow-Select the appropriate metadata scheme-Manually enrich metadata in important areas-Automate metadata creation
This is what Bibliographic Services Task Force (BSTF) [1] - TheUNIVERSITY of CALIFORNIA LIBRARIES - has recommended.
http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sopag/BSTF/Final.pdf
--Sukhdev Singh, NIChttp://openmed.nic.in